Re: Followup on eliminating symlink ReadFile calls -- it's not necessary

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I don't agree that this is FAQ material.  What is the FAQ?
>
>   "How do I make my file lookups faster?"

No, the FAQ is, "how can I increase performance".  This would require an
article-length answer, with all the possible tweaks and their
disadvantages.  "mount -x" is just one of the tweaks, and of course the
answer would have to detail what you gain and what you give up by using
it.

> if for no other reason
> than this *isn't* a frequently asked question.

It's infrequent because most people just quietly tolerate Cygwin's
performance hit.  If they knew it was possible to increase its
performance in certain circumstances, I think those same people would
then quietly begin tuning their systems.

> Updating the documentation, however, is the right way to go.

Maybe we're disagreeing on location and form rather than content.
= 'Net Address: http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent | / \  ASCII Ribbon
= ICBM Address: 36.82740N, 108.02040W, alt. 1714m | \ /  Campaign
=                                                 |  X   Against
= Chance favors the prepared mind.                | / \  HTML Mail