Re: cygwin and GPL (again)

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Btw, if you use Cygwin in an application, the application automatically
> becomes free software.  Just so you know.

Just so *I* know, isn't the above oversimplified?

If I *distribute* an application linked to cygwin to others, I am obliged
to follow GPL-like rules for the whole application.  But simply *using*
cygwin (e.g. to compile some code that expects a Unix environment) for
my own use should not taint the code.  Is this not correct?

As a somewhat more realistic example, if I distribute source code under
conditions other than the GPL, and suggest to users that they could use
the cygwin package to compile my code on their Windows machine, would such
a suggestion somehow make the source code free software?

...thanks for any clarification....dac

David A. Case                     |  e-mail:      case@scripps.edu