Re: effective user id

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:47:24AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 02:04:17PM +0800, Guy Worthington wrote:
> > If I'm logged in as an administrators member and then in a console type:
> >
> > su guest
> >
> > I get the error
> >
> > su: Cannot set group id: Invalid argument
> >
> > I'm trying to switch to another effective user ID with no password in
> > the same way as has been exploited for anonymous ftp
> > (as described in the article: inetutils-1.3.2.README).
> >
> > How do I switch my effective user ID to another user without a password.
>
> http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Sorry, that's a bit short.

Correct answer: You can switch the euid without a password if and only if
the user you switch to has no password.

More info: http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID

Other prerequisites are correct passwd and group files. Your above
error is probably related to a incorrect /etc/group file. The gid in
the users passwd entry is not mentioned in /etc/group or sth similar.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.