Re: 1.1.7: stackdump in patch.exe

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:01:03PM -0800, Bob Wilson wrote:
> I've been fighting this same problem and can provide a bit more
> information.  Incidentally, I found a report of this problem in the
> mailing list archive from October, and the only suggestion was to check
> that $TEMP wasn't a directory with spaces in its name.  I don't think
> that's the problem.  It appears to be another line-ending issue.
>
> If the patch file contains only linefeeds, the problem goes away.  It
> also seems to occur only when the patchfile contains patches for
> multiple files (perhaps patch is doing an lseek in between files??).  If
> I put the patchfile containing CR/LFs in a directory mounted in binary
> mode, then patch gets even more confused and prints the following
> message:
>
> Hmm...(Fascinating -- this is really a new-style context diff but
> without
> the telltale extra asterisks on the *** line that usually indicate
> the new style...)
>
> ...and then it still crashes.
>
> I also tried the "--binary" option but it seems to have no effect.

Could you please answer a few questions which will help me to track
down that problem?

- Which Cygwin (uname -a output)
- Which patch (Is it the latest version from cygwin/latest?)
- The values of $TMPDIR and $TMP (if any)
- The mount modes of
  - the directory where the diff file resides
  - the src directory of the slrn sources
  - the /tmp, $TMPDIR and $TMP directories

Thanks in advance,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.