Re: Problem w/ cygwin tar.exe: Unable to tar directories beginnin g w/ the letter 'R' in NT 4.0

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 02:58:21PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>No, its not Cygwin.  If it were, other tools with this same path would have
>the same problem.  They don't.  Also note that the problem is with 1
>backslash:
>
>D:\tmp\AshishCode>tar cvf file.tgz d:\tmp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp
>
>tar: Cannot add file d: mp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp: No such file or directory
>tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>
>This bug is in tar.

What does cygwin's echo do with this?  I'm not close to a Windows machine right now.

If you type:

c:\>c:\cygwin\bin\echo d:\tmp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp

what is output?

It's possible that cygwin's globbing is not correctly interpreting d:\ as a
path spec.  It tries to be clever about doing the right thing with dos filespecs
but it could still be broken.

cgf