Have I shot myself in the foot?

Ouch,

I installed Cygwin the other day and several programs have been broken ever
since. I followed the instructions and added C:\cygwin\bin to my path before
my default windows directories. Then when I ran any of my batch files that
counted on finding a command in C:\windows\command like find, or ping in
/windows, er ... C:\windows, the batch files hung or crashed. OK, move it
after the default windows directories. Now when I use the Cygwin tools like
/bin/find, they don't work right. Humm. I took a look at the cygwin.pif file
that starts Cygwin and then the batch file that it runs. Ah Ha! I added a
line "SET PATH=C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;%PATH%" above the
"bash --login -i" line and marvel of marvels everybody's happy. UH OH!
That's usually, on Windoze, a "Bad Sign" TM.

I decided to push my luck. I moved cygwin1.dll to c:\windows and copied some
of the Cygwin commands to C:\windows\command because I'm tired of having to
retype ls -l <fileglob> as dir <fileglob> many times a day. You see, I
learned computing on an IBM 360 with OS. Then came an IBM 370 with OS/VS and
then a PDP with AT&T Unix IV with BSD Extensions. Despite all the years,
when I'm in front of a keyboard that isn't an 029 keypunch, I still think in
Unix. Now everybody on my machine is really happy, Cygwin seems to work just
fine as does Windoze. I even get to type my favorite commands once instead
of twice.

So what's going to break? My Visual C++ V 5.0? gcc (I'll never get used to
that g, got to rename it to cc)? What?

Regards,
James.