Cygwin and playing audio

Dear list,

I've been experimenting with cygwin for 2 weeks now and I've managed to get
a program I originally wrote for X-windows for the linux platform to run.
I've even got an X-server up and running and all is fine but ...
I cannot yet play any audio files. I want to play a wav-file and I'm almost
certain
(I've tried) that writing blocks of shorts to /dev/dsp on my W98 machine
will not do the trick.
Can anybody explain to me what I need to be able to play a wav-file from my
cygwin-compiled program?

Tia.

Zaphod B.