Re: Bug In Mount? (Bug in read()?)

Charles Wilson wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 01:16:11PM -0800, Josh Schulte wrote:
> > >I don't think I have got all the details across.  I don't see how it
> > >can not be bug.
> > >
> > >I take a computer.  I remove the cygwin directory.  I remove the cygwin
> > >registry entries.  I install cygwin with a particular mount type
> > >(textmode or binmode).  I run my test.  I get the same results on both
> > >tests.  I have done this on two seperate computers.  Both computers
> > >give me the same results.  In the mode that the \r is supposed to be
> > >stripped, it is not.
> >
> > It sounds like it is either a bug in perl or you're not understanding
> > something about perl to me.
> >
> > If there was truly a bug in read(), I somehow suspect that we'd have
> > heard more reports about this for other programs.
>
> There have been sporadic reports of line-ending problems with perl-5.6.1
> on this list.  I would assume that perl is the culprit, not
> cygwin.  Unfortunately, the cygwin-perl maintainer is traveling right now
> and is not expected back online until the end of February.  Unless
> somebody wants to dig into the perl-5.6.1-1-src.tar.gz source code (that
> is, the cygwin perl source bundle) this will just have to wait until Eric
> returns.

I *have* executed Josh's test.  Josh's contents file contains \r\n line
endings.  Perl has the fd set to binary mode regardless of where it is
opened.  So if the file is on a text mode mount it still opens the file
or sets the fd to binary mode giving the results Josh is seeing.  It you
remove the \r from the contents file then the expected results are seen.

Earnie.