Re: SSH with PUTTY to Cygwin display probs...

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 05:28:16PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 03:31:14PM +0000, Dan Littley wrote:
> > I have installed/setup SSH and I can SSH to localhost fine.  But everything looks crap!  The bash prompt looks like this:
> >

> > No passphrase required.
> > \[\033]0;\w\007
> > \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
> > $
>
> Your /etc/passwd contains /bin/sh as login shell.
> /bin/sh is "ash", not "bash". So you will have to
> change your /etc/passwd entry to contain /bin/bash
> as login shell.

Thanks, that fixed the prompt issue.

> > and mutt is all in black and white.
>
> Isn't PUTTY an vt100+ emu? Try setting TERM to vt100 or
> similar.

Mutt is still in black and white.  It is in colour when using Cygwin itself
but remains black and white when run in a SSH session with Putty.  Putty is
set to xterm and I tried setting Cygwin to xterm using "export TERM=xterm".

I also tried vt100.  Any other ideas?

NB. after running mutt in SSH, it is also black and white is subsequent mutt
sessions back in Cygwin, until I close/restart Cygwin.

Thanks - Dan