cygwin terminal emulation - ANSI escape sequences

Hello folks,
I have the following question and/or suggestion. I have discovered the
cygwin terminal emulation difference to e. g. Linux console in the
following way:

When I send a clear screen ("\e[H\e[J" or "\e[2J]") or a delete line
("\e[K") sequence, everything works well (except of "\e[2J]" on the
Linux console which behaves a bit different but I'm not sure this
sequence is standard either). However there's a difference.

On the Linux console the screen is cleared or line deleted while the
last-selected colour attributes are applied in the cleared space. With
linux console this doesn't work this way as there are always default
attributes applied.

So, this will make a nice(?) blue screen in the Linux console while
nothing special will occur under the Cygwin console:

printf "\e[0;37;44m\e[H\e[J"

The reason while I'm reporting this problem is also the way I
discovered it: VIM uses clearing the screen with Nornmal highlighting
group's attributes set, so when one uses non-default (ie. different
from the terminal's default) background, everything works under Linux
console. Under the Cygwin one the blank area after the end of line
always stays displayed with the default console colours.

To reproduce this in VIM run:

syntax on                     (if not run before)
hi Normal ctermbg=DarkBlue

I'm sorry to say I don't know what the standard says about exact
behaviour of the escape sequences mentioned above. I leave it up to
you whether you change this or not. Since I found this problem with
more terminals, I'm going to ask VIM author for workaround.

Regards

JITR

P. S.: Thanx for your patience, I can never make it shorter... ;-)

--

| Jiri TRAVNICEK (aka JITR)  |