Using gprof on cygwin DLL

Hello,
I would like to run gprof on some cygwin-based tools, like make or gcc.  I
assumed that rebuilding the cygwin DLL (as well as rebuilding other tools),
enabled for profiling with the "-pg" flag, would tell me where time was being
spent in cygwin itself.  Will this approach work, or does anyone have
experience doing this?  Is this even a reasonable thing to attempt?

I tried building cygwin1.dll with profiling enabled, but it looks like no tools
(bash, grep, etc.) can use the new dll.  I get an error dialog "The application
failed to initialize properly (0xc00000fd)."  I checked the static dependencies
for bash.exe against the new dll, and did not see any "red flags."

Any suggestions?

,
John Faith
Lineo