Re: ^M diff related problem

Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 Chuck.Irvine@mail.sprint.com wrote:
>
> > Just curious - why might the setting of TEMP make a difference? Thanks,
> > anyway, though.
>
> It makes a difference for some tools such as patch which creates a
> temporary file. The default TEMP points to /cygdrive/c/WINNT/Temp on
> say a NT or Win2k box which is by default textmode, and patch output
> then adds unexpected ^Ms. I personally set TMPDIR and TEMP to /tmp
> in .bashrc to avoid these little issues.

A few minor corrections.  You've been away too long.  The TEMP variable
is converted by Cygwin to a POSIX path on startup.  Typically in is set
to C:\Temp which gets converted to /cygdrive/c/temp.  Historically the
/cygdrive pseudo mount point would be registered to process in text mode
regardless of whether or not you chose UNIX line endings.  Today, setup
registers the file processing mode based on what you choose, UNIX or
DOS.  Setup also creates a /etc/profile file that unsets TMPDIR and TMP
but not TEMP.  If the variables are not set the programs default to /tmp
anyway so I added a unset of TEMP to my /etc/profile.

> Doesn't make a difference for diff, which doesn't use temporary files.

Didn't know the inner workings of diff.  I suppose Chuck's problem could
also be a non-Cygwin diff program.

Cheers,
Earnie.