Re: Problem with F:/ and /cygdrive/f/

At 03:56 PM 1/12/2001, Richard Y. Kim wrote:

>     JM> I have a program which works perfectly when I tell
>     JM> it to read from a file at /cygdrive/f/ .  However,
>     JM> when I set the directory to F:/, the program no
>     JM> longer works.
>
>I would like to add that GNU tar that comes with cygwin
>distribution has always had the same problem going back
>several years.  For example,
>
>   $ cd /tmp
>   $ touch foo
>   $ tar cf foo.tar foo
>   $ tar tf /cygdrive/c/cygwin/tmp/foo.tar
>   foo
>   $ tar tf c:/cygwin/tmp/foo.tar
>   c: Unknown Host
>   tar: c\:/cygwin/tmp/foo.tar: Cannot open: I/O error
>   tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>
>I searched the FAQ file for "tar", but could not find any
>mention of this problem.  I've been reading cygwin list for
>some time, but have not seen any mention of this issue.
>
>My apologies if this issue has already been discussed.

Apology accepted.  It has been discussed and I'm not sure why your
search of the archives didn't unearth it.  The answer here is that this
is a feature of GNU tar, not Cygwin.  If you want to use a colon in the name,
use the --force-local flag.  A colon in a file name means the portion
to the left is a host name.  See tar --help or the man page for more
details.