Process started by Perl "open3" not taking input from write fd

I'm having some trouble with some Perl ClearCase triggers which try to
internally use "open3" to start a "cleartool" process to communicate
with whenever it needs a subcommand executed and data returned.

I have a small test case that just tries to execute a single cleartool
subcommand, then exit.

When I execute it on Unix, it executes the subcommand, makes the
output available for reading, and exits.  When I execute it on NT, it
seems to be blocked on the "read" for the output from "cleartool".  I
found that when I execute the script at the console, when it gets to
the point where it blocks, I can type at the console, and the line
that I type gets sent to "cleartool", and I can then read the output
from that.

It seems as if the read file descriptor is not connected to the
process, but to my console.

My Perl versions on each platform are somewhat different.  On NT, I'm
using the latest Cygwin-built version, which I believe is 5.6.1.  On
Unix, I'm executing 5.005_03.

Can someone give me some idea of what could be going wrong here?