RE: Using German Umlauts with bash

 >I'm using the latest cygwin 1.1.6 for Windows NT 4.0 SP5 and i have installed it with the latest
 >setup.exe.
 >
 >What must i do so bash can display correctly the German umlauts like äöüÄÖÜß if they
 >occur in filenames?

I have version 1.1.7 installed. All umlauts display ok with this version.

 >What to do so i can type German umlauts on the bash-command-line?

Don't know, this does not work yet.
IMO you should avoid using umlauts in filenames. This often
causes problems, not only concerning cygwin...

 >Another key i wish to work was the 'del'-key: It should delete to right. Backspace correctly deletes
 >to left.

I created a file '.inputrc' in my home directory which contains
the following one line, beginning at row 1:

"\e[3~": delete-char

After restarting bash now, the [Del]-key works perfectly.

 >Is there any description or manual how to configure such things?

I found the [Del]-key stuff in the mail archives, for example.
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin

schöne Grüße nach München

- Lars