[make] VPATH pb

Hi,

I'm currently using the latest CygWin distrib (1.1.6) on MS Win2k
Professional, and I'm having a strange behaviour when I use VPATH.
Here's the makefile I want to use (as simple as I can) :
SHELL=bash
VPATH=src;bin;lib

%.bin:	%.src
	@echo Building binary...
	cp $< bin/$@

%.lib:	%.bin
	@echo Building library...
	cp $< lib/$@

file.bin:	file.src
file.lib:	file.bin
with three different existing directories src, bin and lib. Each will
contain the .src, .bin and .lib file.

When the 'file.bin' and 'file.lib' files don't exist (the first time I run
make), here's what I get :
>make file.lib
Building binary...
cp src/file.src bin/file.bin
Building library...
cp file.bin lib/file.lib
cp: file.bin: No such file or directory
make: *** [file.lib] Error 1
A second run produces the expected output :
Building library...
cp bin/file.bin lib/file.lib

The question is : why is the VPATH variable not used when chaining the two
steps ? It looks like VPATH is applied only to the 'file.src' target and not
on the 'file.bin' one...
Could somebody explain that to me ?

I'm not sure whether it's a problem related to my understanding of the make
tool, the GNU implementation, or the CygWin port... I tried the same on a
Unix in my company with dmake (not gmake), and it works like a charm.
Unfortunatly, I don't have access to gmake on this Unix box to compare with
the Win32 port.

BTW, the default make mode is 'unix' (I checked it), so no problem here.

Thanks in advance,

				Pascal Davoust.