Mounting confusion

Hello,

I recently started investigating applications programming on a budget and
was delighted to find both Cygwin and DJGPP (Thanks DJ and Eli).
However I have come to realize that there is a great deal about I don't
understand about the differences between DOS and WIN9X and Unix.  Is there
an FAQ or HOW-TO or Tutorial on-line that you can direct me to that explains
the major differences between these systems?  In particular I am confused by
the differences between the path specifications in DOS/WIN and the concept
of "mounting" I have heard discussed in this list.
I am coming out of a DOS background with limited windows programming
exposure so simple is good.

Thanks in advance,

Doug Law