Re: gcc error

as is part of the binutils package.  Make sure you have that (i.e. you will
get it if you install all packages).  If you do, make sure you can find as.
If you can't, uninstall that package, reinstall, and retry.  After that, if
you believe the problem is installation related (i.e. not a pilot error),
report back to the list what you did and include the output of
cygcheck -s -r -v.

Larry