Re: tar a filesystem outside of /cygwin

On Wednesday 13 December 2000 22:52, J. J. Farrell wrote:
> > From: Christopher Faylor <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 07:53:53AM +0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> > >$ mount c:\ftp /ftp
> > >mount: /ftp: Invalid argument
> >
> > If you do not specify a full path spec, you'll get an "invalid
> > argument" error message.
> >
> > I don't know why you are having such a hard time wrapping your
> > brain around that fact, but that's ok.  I have nothing more to add
> > to this thread.
>
> I think Gerrit understands that fact, but is having trouble seeing
> why mount doesn't complain about an apparently invalid argument
> (c:\ftp) but does complain about one which is apparently valid
> (/ftp).

The reason is quite easy. mount(1) calls mount(2). mount(2) returns
with errno set to "Invalid parameter" and that's it. mount(1)
doesn't know _which_ parameter mount(2) is complaining about.
So mount(1) simply calls it's error function with the 2nd parameter
as the wrong one.

QED,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.