Re: cv-quals lack an intervening 'const'

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 04:21:18PM -0500, Donald Brinkman wrote:
>Hello all . . .
>
>I have been given the task of porting a small project from an IRIX
>environment into a visual c++ compatible library.  To accomplish this I
>decided to use Cygwin, since it has such nice utilities for creating DLLs.
>Everything has been going fine, with only a few changes here and there,
>until I stopped dead on this problem.  Given the member function:
>
>const Foo** FooBar::getA() const
>        {
>        return ( A )
>        }
>
>where A is a const Foo**
>
>I get the following message:
>
>Return to const Foo** from Foo **const adds cv-quals without intervening
>'const'.
>
>Now, please, can someone tell me just what a cv-qual is and why the compiler
>complains about this on Cygwin with gcc but not on IRIX with cc? Any help
>would be greatly appreciated.

It's possible that someone might know the answer to this question here
but you'll probably have more luck on one of the gcc mailing lists:

http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html

Cygwin uses the standard FSF gcc release and this sounds like a standard gcc
question.

cgf