CygUtils updates: usr-local, RemoveObsoletePackages

A lot of packages that were originally included in my usr-local package
at cygutils have been absorbed into the official cygwin net release.  In
most cases, the versions distributed from sources.redhat.com are newer
and better, so the ones from cygutils are obsolete.  I've created a new
usr-local package that does not include those obsolete packages -- the
new one (usr-local-4) is about one fourth the size of the old one
(usr-local-3) which was in turn half the size of the preceding one.
(I'm slowly succeeding in my goal to make cygutils obsolete...)  The new
usr-local package includes:

automake-1.4     freetype-1.3
ncftp-3.0.1      rxvt-2.6.2
unzip-5.41       wget-1.5.3
zip-2.3

With two exceptions, these packages are identical to the ones in the
older usr-local package; no need to install this one if you already have
the old one (see below for a method to clean up obsolete stuff).  ncftp
and wget are newly added to usr-local, but they can be downloaded
separately from cygutils if you already have the older usr-local package
installed.

NOTE: since ncftp depends on cygwin-ncurses, but ncurses is no longer
part of usr-local, ncftp will look in the wrong place for its terminfo
database.  To correct that, you need to add 'export
TERMINFO=/usr/share/terminfo' to your /etc/profile.

As you can see, usr-local is getting rather tiny -- it used to be 20+
packages and over 35Meg uncompressed; it's now only 7 packages (two were
newly added) and unpacks to 5Meg.  This will probably be the last
usr-local package; as it gets smaller there's really no reason to
maintain a bundle separate from the individual downloads.  I hope to
eventually build zip and unzip according to official rules, and submit
those along with freetype.  (With the addition of freetype, all of the
required graphics libraries for ImageMagick should be ready for use; but
I'll leave building ImageMagick to someone else)  Then, perhaps, ncftp
and wget would be useful additions to the 'official' distribution.
Finally, automake should also be built for the official package but it
depends on perl, so that'll have to wait until there is a perl port
included in the official distro.

That leaves only rxvt -- which cannot be added to the official distro
since it requires an Xserver, and the XFree86 Xserver for cygwin is
still...imperfect.

The following were removed:

autoconf-2.13    bzip2-0.9.5d
gettext-0.10.35  ncurses-5.0
readline-4.0     tar-1.12+bzip2
vim-5.6          xpm-3.4k

Seven of these packages (all but vim) were removed because newer
versions have been absorbed into the main distribution.  A few specific
notes:

  o ncurses is still a 'test' version but will become 'official' very
soon

  o bzip2 has been a part of the official distribution for a while but
didn't provide libbz2 -- there is a 'test' version on sourceware that
*does* provide libbz2 and it will become 'official' very soon, which is
why I've (finally) removed bzip2 from usr-local

  o readline has just been released as a 'test' version -- I imagine it
will go through the typically few weeks of pounding and then become
'official', so I didn't include it in the new usr-local.

  o vim was removed because it offers nothing better than the official
vim, except that it's ncurses/terminfo-based and not termcap-based.  If
you want the ncurses-based vim, it can be downloaded separately from
cygutils.

************************
 RemoveObsoletePackages
************************

Now, what if you've already installed one of the older usr-local
tarballs, and you'd like to uninstall those parts that have become
obsolete?  Well, Vladimir Ivanovic asked the same question, and created
the answer: a very flexible set of shell scripts to help remove
packages, called "RemoveObsoletePackages". You can find it here:

http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/usr-local/Obsolete.html

RemoveObsoletePackages has been updated to include ".list.tar.bz2" files
for all obsoleted cygutils packages.

Note: this is totally unrelated to ongoing work on setup.exe.
RemoveObsoletePackages is a very flexible tool, but is no substitute for
a working 'uninstall' feature in setup.exe.  Please pitch in.

--Chuck Wilson