Re: ediff falsely identifying a difference as white space only

This looks (again) like an issue that I raised some time ago (6-12
months?).  ediff and ediff-3 were misbehaving with dos and mac line
endings.  A fix was installed (ntemacs 20.6 ?) that worked correctly
on NTemacs but not on other systems.  The fix reinvented something
that was done differently in the development tree leading to emacs 21.
There was some discussion among the developers about the best way to
handle the line endings.  I remember that there was an issue about how
to handle the --binary issue.  It was supposed to be sensitive to
whether the diff program could use that argument.

The current discussion makes me think the alternate solutions were not
completely reconciled.

Rich