Re: [NEWBIE]I have some general question's I could really use some he lp with please!

At 10:35 AM 11/16/2000, Andre Cameron wrote:

>Ok, I'm new to cygwin and c/c++ so please excuse me if I sound stupid but I
>have a couple of problems I really need the help with.
>
>1)when I try to include things like conio.h or dos.h in my file header it
>tells me that it cant be found but if I search my HD I find it under
>C:\cygnus\cygwin-B20\H-i586-cygwin32\H-i586-cygwin32\include I can however
>include things like iostream.h which is under
>C:\cygnus\cygwin-B20\include\g++  So does anyone know how I can access
>things like dos.h and mem.h etc?

First, upgrade at www.cygwin.com.  B20 is very old and you'll find very
little support for it.  conio.h and dos.h are exactly what they sound like,
non-standard DOS oriented include files.  They aren't supported by Cygwin
(or any tools supporting portable code).  Best that you change the code to
remove the reliance on these include files.

>2)Is there a way to include the cygwin1.dll into my programs source code so
>I don't have to have cygwin1.dll with my compiled program to run it in DOS?

No but if you don't need the POSIX API of the Cygwin environment, you can
use the -mno-cygwin switch or work with the mingw development suite
(www.mingw.org)

>3)This is driving me crazy and I can't find an answer anywhere, When I was a
>kid I used to program in basic (haha I know) well on the first line we would
>do cls to clear the screen before the program started so everything would be
>nice and fresh, HOW do you do it in C/C++????

I've never done it but I expect you could do it with termcap or ncurses
calls.  Check out these packages and their documentation if you're
interested.  Alternatively, you could just invoke the shell "clear" command
directly via the system() call.

>I would REALLY apreciate any and all help thanks guys!:)

You're welcome.  You would probably benefit by reading some of the
available documentation about the compiler tools and other facilities
Cygwin provides.  There are also some good related sites with some real
helpful information.  All of these goodies are just a click away at
www.cygwin.com!:-)  Enjoy!