AW: Ultimative way to start Windows 95/98/NT/2000 programs from bash

OK, here comes my last version of this way, this avoids all the problems
you have mentioned:

function open-file-with-w32 () {
    erg=""
    for i in $*; do
        if [ -f "$i" ]; then
            # get the extension only
            erg=`echo $i | sed -e 's|.*\.||g;'`
            # check if we try to open a bat or cmd file
            if [ "$erg" != "bat" ] &&
               [ "$erg" != "BAT" ] &&
               [ "$erg" != "cmd" ] &&
               [ "$erg" != "CMD" ]; then
                # check if this extension is associated with a w32-program
                erg=`cmd /c assoc ".$erg" 2>/dev/null`
                if [ "$erg" != "" ]; then
                    # an associtiation exists therefore this call
                    # should theoretically not produce an error.
                    cmd /c start /b `cygpath -w "$i"` 2>/dev/null
                else
                    # we must start the file with a text editor
                    emacs `cygpath -w "$i"`
                fi
            else
                emacs `cygpath -w "$i"`
            fi
        fi
    done
    unset erg; }
alias o=open-file-with-w32

Now you can open all filetypes with their associated program and if no
association exists it will be opened with the text editor (here emacs)

Hope this helps,
Klaus