Re: [Perl 5.6] Cpan.pm

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 10:27:37PM -0500, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>>One other thing that I've done is to make sure that _WIN32 and WINNT
>>aren't defined by default.  I.E.: I changed Chris' addition of
>>-mno-win32 to -mwin32 and defined unix, _unix, __unix and __unix__ just
>>in case.  Probably unix would have been enough.  Also, when specifying
>>-mwin32 my specs don't define the unix macros.
>
>Huh?  I don't understand.

I puzzled over this for a while too.  I think that what Earnie is saying
is that he essentially made -mno-win32 the *default* and set up a
-mwin32 for cases where you really want it.

This isn't, IMO, a good plan for a general release of gcc but I can see
why this would be attractive to people who compile a lot of UNIX stuff.
It hides the Windows stuff from some packages that insist on "doing
stuff" when they see the Windows defines and you don't have to modify
any Makefiles to get that behavior.

cgf