Re: Cygnus question

> > > Or the FAQ:
> > > "How can I get bash filename completion to be case insensitive?"
> >
> > I seem to not have phrased my question properly.
> >
> > I'm not using bash.  I'm using the Cygnus tools only, typing in the
commands
> > from a Windows command prompt.
> >
> > And I'm aware I can use an expression such as [bB*], but my question is
how
> > to set things up so I don't need it.
>
> I don't know that you can.  In UNIX, it *is* bash (or csh or ...) that
> expands an expression like 'ls b*' to 'ls' plus a list of files that
> matches your expression.  It's called "globbing".  (Don't ask me
> why...)
>
> Since the original UNIX commands ls, grep, ... have no builtin support
> for filename globbing (since they expect the shell to do it), you
> won't find it in Cygwin ports of these commands.

However, the Cygwin commands *do* have support for globbing.  It is not in
the source of the commands themselves; the support is in cygwin1.dll, and it
is enabled if the program is not running under Cygwin.  Try running commands
from just the standard windows shell (cmd.exe or command.com).  Wildcards
will do what you expect.

> So you have to find a way to get cmd.exe or command.com to do this for
> you.  I don't think Cygwin can help you with that problem.

Well, obviously there's a way to get case-insensitive globbing:  go alter
the source code.  However, this may not be the solution you're looking for.