question about cygwin terminal type

Could someone please explain to me what the cygwin terminal type is all
about? If I telnet to a Sun workstation from Win2K with the supplied
telnet program then the default terminal type is ansi. But if I click
on the cygwin icon then ssh to a remote Sun computer then the default
terminal window for Win2K (which looks the same as the one I get when I
launch telnet) carries a cygwin terminal type. Now the white on
black terminal emulation program that ships with Win2K is different than
the black on white one that used to come on NT and Win95/98 and perhaps
that's not the only thing that's changed. So after enterning a remote
shell do I have to change my terminal type to asni or should I leave it
as cygwin? The problem I had lately is that SIGWINCH did not seem to
propagate well but that's another issue altogether I suppose.

Thanks,

Neil