Porting my console app...

I am porting a program from a Unix platform to windows using the cygwin and
mingw. I've managed to get the code to compile across both platforms and am
currently testing and debugging on the windows platform. The program is a
console app that I want to run in native windows (-mno-cygwin) since I'll be
distributing it to outside users.

My program uses getenv to locate a temporary directory for file storage. I'm
defining the directory environment variable in Windows but my program does
not resolve the variable. I figured in cygwin I can import the windows
environment through the .bash files. Is there another method I should use to
get the windows environment variables when I'm running my app stand alone? I
could conditionally compile around the getenv to a windows method, but I'd
need a pointer to the correct api.

Sorry if the question is repetitive or simplistic. I'm just a Unix
programmer porting to a windows world.

Thanks for the help.

John Ehrlinger
Systems Analyst