Re: non latin file names?

At 21:21 10/24/00 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>I don't understand this.  Adding support for non-US character sets
>to cygwin and newlib is a programming project.  It requires someone
>who understands about this stuff but there should be a lot of you
>out there.

ugh, I did it again... read it one way, assumed the writer
meant it the way I read it and replied in that direction....
I thought you were saying that we, the ascii speaking community,
wouldn't have a problem if .... oi... never mind the original joke
as I read it wasn't that funny anyway. :}

>I'm not going to do it because I have no experience in doing it
>and little interest in learning how to do it.

interest in i18n/l17n aren't really needed... that code,
at least the conversion tables that are iconv/gconv are
there... what's needed is to make them available to programs
in cygwin (jikes could make use of it today, hence my interest)
then as the general i18n/l17n work takes place in the GNU World
(groan, bad pun) it can be readily absorbed by cygwin (ie. to
tie this back to the start of the thread, ls will someday learn
how to display ó in the general gnu-fileutils; when it does,
cygwin will be ready. That second part btw is a massive effort,
and one that a handfull of big companies (IBM) are looking at
very hard.)

>I would certainly be interested in seeing cygwin and newlib improve,
>though.
>
>This project seems to attract large numbers of consumers but only
>a miniscule number of producers.  That's the basic problem.

I've yet to see an open source project, *any* open source project,
even those intended for developers (gcc, jikes) that this has NOT
been a problem. I fear it will be the basic problem for Open Source
in general.

now the forces of openness
     have a powerful and
     unexpected new ally