Re: Cygwin SEGVs

> There is a problem.  Someone changed the top level configure a while ago
> and broke things.

That would be me, so I guess I better explain ;-)

GCC has a "-B" flag that *used* to be used just to find things like
cc1, cpp, as, and ld.  However, the GCC team has been using that
option for many other things.  One of those things is to find crt0.o
(the libraries have their own options).  There is *no* other way to
find crt0.o!  So, this switch is kinda mandatory if you want to link
your programs with the right crt0.o.

Unfortunately, gcc warns you if the -B option isn't used to find cc1,
cpp, as, or ld.  The warning totally ignores other valid uses of -B,
so the warning was removed from the gcc sources (by me).  If old
versions didn't exist, we'd be all set.

As for workarounds for old gccs, there are two:

1. Binary-edit your gcc.exe to remove that warning.  Not for the feint
   of heart.

2. Remove that option in configure, and hope that the *installed*
   crt0.o is compatible with the *built* crt0.o (or copy it).

You could also go through all the Makefiles and add that -B option to
the specific link lines, but that's a tricky thing to get right.