Re: ps output format

TWIMC,

I have no idea what would be the implications of or requirements for
implementing it under Cygwin, but the /proc file system is the way to
free programs of parsing "ps" and related program output. Even though
/proc doesn't solve the problem of standardizing the information
content itself (since the contents of the files in /proc are
system-specific and tend to change with new releases of the system
that creates that data), but it does free programs from having to
decode output that is intended primarily for human consumption as
well as free them from having to run sub-processes to acquire that
information.

Randall Schulz
Teknowledge Corp.
Palo Alto, CA USA