Re: FAQ about make

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 05:50:52PM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>Currently, /etc/profile contains 'export MAKE_MODE=unix'.  Is this the
>only sense in which the behaviour has changed with the latest net
>release?  (Hmm, I just tried it, and it seems the default is already
>unix mode, so is MAKE_MODE=unix unnecessary now?)

Yes.  I swapped the default when I started releasing make.

Red Hat still wants the default to be MAKE_MODE=win32, though, so if
you get a Cygwin release from us, the default is reversed.  I think
we've seen quite a decrease in this particular complaint about make
since I made the change so I'm happy about the default.

However, be prepared that customers could start posting here.  It should
be clear from cygcheck output if someone is running a cygwin DLL
provided by Red Hat so that would be the first clue if people are
reporting inexplicable make behavior.

I don't like distributing two different versions of make but I think
that the MAKE_MODE=unix is the correct behavior and will have fewer
problems in the long run.

>And this business about path and path list separators.  Is this only
>as a result of using cmd.exe instead of sh.exe, or does make do its
>own path processing (like for VPATH)?
>
>Before you all tell me to go off and figure it out for myself, remember
>that my interests are selfless, I'm not doing this for me. :-)

These are good questions, and I don't know the answers to them.  I've
looked at the source and AFAICT, all of the PATH processing expects
UNIX style paths.  I don't know if this is true for VPATH or not.

If someone else doesn't chime in with an answer, I'll try to do more
pragmatic investigation.

And, thanks for thinking about this.  I really really appreciate the
work that you've put into the FAQ and accompanying documentation.

cgf