Re: Does Cygwin's `-mno-cygwin' need Mingw?

On 16-Oct-2000, Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 09:51:11AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > >
> > >The -mno-cygwin switch of the Cygwin product is not considered MinGW by
> > >the MinGW development team.  MinGW has it's own set of GCC/binutils
> > >tools.  We are currently in the process of preparing a more upto date
> > >package.

OK, I have some follow-up questions:

	- Is there much difference between the two?

	- Is there an official name for the `-mno-cygwin' option of Cygwin?
	  "The -mno-cygwin switch of the Cygwin product" is a bit wordy.
	  (Perhaps it should be called "Clayton's Cygwin" ;-)

	- Cygwin and "Cygwin -mno-cygwin" are sufficiently different that
	  I think it would make sense for them to have different autoconf
	  canonical system names -- after all, Mingw has a different name,
	  and "Cygwin -mno-cygwin" is closer to Mingw than to Cygwin.
	  Currently autoconf seems to configure as "i*86-pc-cygwin",
	  even if you invoke configure as "CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' ./configure".
	  Should it configure report the host system type as "i*86-pc-mingw"
	  in that situation?  Or should we invent a new name for that?
	  If so, what should it be?

PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.