Re: RFC: linux compatibility

--- DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> Given that Cygnus (official sponsors of Cygwin) has recently been
> acquired by Red Hat (leading Linux company), I would like to propose
> that the target compatibility reference be Linux.  Note I didn't say
> "Red Hat Linux" although that's the only Linux *I* have ;-)

This is a good point and makes since.  IMO, most will equate Redhat Cygwin ==
Redhat Linux compatible.

> Being compatible with Linux has a number of options:
>
> * We can avoid lengthy discussions about what to be compatible with.

This is a good thing.

> * Applications that run on Linux can more easily be ported to Cygwin.

Ditto.

> * The Red Hat Cygwin group is much more likely to get official support :)

This is the most important.  It also provides a more ready reference for
documentation, especially for the supported API.

> This, of course, doesn't mean we're giving up any of the
> cygwin-specific stuff (mount tables, crlf handling, etc).  A specific
> example of something that would change is the handling of the
> time/timezone API, which is currently SYSV-style whereas Linux is
> BSD-style.

Which is a different consideration, SYSV vs BSD.  I've noticed that some
packages port better using BSD and some port better using SYSV.  It will give
Cygwin more coherence if you can say which standard we try to follow.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com