Re: BUG: Invalid assumption about file paths beginning with '\'

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> At 11:59 AM 10/10/2000, DJ Delorie wrote:
>
> > > I would have thought that the whole point of the CygWin project was
> >
> >... to make Windows look like a POSIX/Unix environment, so that it
> >would be easy to port existing GNU tools to it without having to teach
> >all those tools how to behave like Windows programs.
>

> And what would be the advantage of that?!;-)

So that us Unix programmers can feel at home in a hostile land where
every other command takes 10 seconds to start up just because someone
decided to design an interface where every command starts up in its
own little window. DOS really sucks compared to bash which has lots
of programming features built into it unlike the DOS prompt. We like
Unix and like to take it with us no matter what OS we work with.

Cheers,

Neil