Re: Has CR/LF and cat problem with textutils-2.0 been solved?

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 02:30:31PM +0100, Fifer, Eric wrote:
>>This was my point.  We fixed ash to do the right thing and I've been
>>waiting patiently for the bash maintainer to fix bash as well.
>
>Is it possible to get a better idea of what the "right thing" is?

The "right thing" is for shells to read their input in text mode.  How
many times does this have to be repeated?

>+ Perl has a similar backtick syntax, but is fine handling
>  binary data.  I think it would be wrong to cripple its
>  binary abilities by setting text mode on backtick input.
>  However, as cat works now, on a text mount this will fail:

Perl is not a shell.  We have an immediate problem: bash.  bash needs to
have its back tick handling "fixed" (I hate to characterise accomodating
this CRLF nonsense as fixing anything).  I asked the *cygwin* bash
maintainer to do this months ago and he has not been responsive in doing
this.  So, I'm looking for another *cygwin* bash maintainer.

There is no reason to throw perl, python, awk, sed, or gnuplot into the
mix and theorize about a grand unified plan for what to do whenever
program 'foo' finds a backtick.  We just need someone who is willing to
make the changes to bash.

cgf