Re: gmake is slow under cygwin

--- Gabriel Zachmann <zach@igd.fhg.de> wrote:
> ] --- Gabriel Zachmann <zach@igd.fhg.de> wrote:
> ] >
> ] > Any ideas or insights will be highly appreciated,
> ] > Gab.
> ] >
> ]
> ] Any virus scanners running?  See the FAQ.
> ]
>
> (Hm, the FAQ didn't say that a virus scanner could incur a performance
> penalty, it just said that it might prevent cygwin from functioning ;-)
>
> Ok, I switched McAffee off.
> But that reduced execution time only by about 1 sec:
> -  with mcaffee running: real time = 7.4 sec, user time = 3.1 sec;
> -  mcaffee not running: real = 6 sec, user time = 2.8 sec
>
> That still seems pretty slow for just a few 100 lines of makefiles,
> doesn't it?

You don't say what you're executing, but doing `/bin/time -v ls -l /bin' I get:
        Command being timed: "ls -l /bin"
        User time (seconds): 0.45
        System time (seconds): 0.29
        Percent of CPU this job got: 17%
        Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 0:04.21
        Average shared text size (kbytes): 0
        Average unshared data size (kbytes): 0
        Average stack size (kbytes): 0
        Average total size (kbytes): 0
        Maximum resident set size (kbytes): 0
        Average resident set size (kbytes): 0
        Major (requiring I/O) page faults: 0
        Minor (reclaiming a frame) page faults: 0
        Voluntary context switches: 0
        Involuntary context switches: 0
        Swaps: 0
        File system inputs: 0
        File system outputs: 0
        Socket messages sent: 0
        Socket messages received: 0
        Signals delivered: 0
        Page size (bytes): 4096
        Exit status: 0
So it appears to be you're setup.  I'm using NT4sp4, Cygwin-1.1.4.  The output
of `cygcheck -s -r -v' pasted in a mail and sent to the list might be useful.

Cheers,

=====
--- <http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com> ---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>