Setting cygdrive prefix to '/' causes disappearing mounts

I have been experiencing a problem in which everything in the mount
table disappears. This happens when any program using the Cygwin DLL
is executed. With Regedit open, I can see that the keys containing the
mount points disappear.

I recreate the mount points that existed before. If I open an additional
window to the Cygwin bash without closing the first one, all mounts remain
in place.

If I start sshd as a service using SRVANY, as long as that program continues
to run, all mounts remain in place. When all programs requiring the Cygwin
DLL have been exited and nothing using the DLL is still running, the registry
keys still exist. The next time any Cygwin program is executed (not just
bash -- running any program under CMD.EXE does the same thing) all the
registry keys for the mounts immediately disappear.

This problem was apparently caused, at least in my case, by setting either a
user or system /cydrive prefix to '/'. It is 100% reproducible, and especially
interesting that even when only a user /cygdrive prefix is set to '/', all
system mounts will disappear. Now that I have a little better understanding
of how the cygdrive prefix works, I can see that there is really no good
reason to change it to '/' anyway. However, the User Guide uses this exact
command as an example (3.11, "Changing the default prefix") in the section
on "mount". It seems that it would be appropriate to change that to anything
other than '/' and add a warning that setting it to '/' causes the mount
table to be cleared.

--
David Condon                    |       dcondon@apk.net
Webmaster, APK Net Ltd.         |       (216) 241-7166