Re: versions/compatibilities FAQ request

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 07:49:34PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>I'll take a shot at some of these...
>
>>The install version is 1.1, does that render prior versions
>>incompatible
>
>You should be able to run old programs with a new cygwin installation,
>but of course we recommend upgrading everything if you have the CDROM
>or B19 or B20.

Actually newer versions of the Cygwin DLL will work with Cygwin 1.1.3,
1.1.2, 1.1.1, 1.0, and B20.1.  This is reverse chronological order.
None of the above versions will correctly interoperate with B19.

>> does that include DLL 1.1.4
>
>It includes a 1.1.<something> DLL, with the current <something> being
>"4" at the moment.
>
>> how does DLL 1.1.4 which one sees downloadable separately sometimes,
>> differ from install cygwin 1.1 ?
>
>The cygwin "dll" is part of the cygwin "package" in a cygwin
>"install".  Just like the cc1.exe "file" is part of the gcc "package"
>in a cygwin "install".

Is there actually a Cygwin reference 1.1 somewhere?  I always refer to
it as 1.1.x for precisely this reason.  Dropping the extra digit seems
to confuse people.

>>is B20 compatible with either DLL 1.1.4 or install version 1.1.  If not
>>should one stay off of B20 sites entirely.  Is it possible to back out
>>of v1.1 to B20 if one needs to in order to run a third part compile
>>binary or are all binaries of B20 capable of installing on 1.1 ?
>
>You should be able to run B20-aware programs with 1.1.  We almost never
>recommend reverting to a beta.

If you can't run a "B20" .exe with the 1.1.4 DLL then you've found a bug
in Cygwin 1.1.4.  Report it and we'll try to fix it.

cgf