Mount problems (was RE: SSHD: works from command line, but not from INETD)

Hmmm. The sshd problem seems to be mount related. sshd_config was in (DOS)
directory c:\etc. For some reason, sshd could find it when run from the
command line, but when run from inetd, it was looking in c:\cygnus\etc
(which is mounted as /etc). Don't know why the difference, but ssh runs fine
now.

However, I definitely have mount problems, which seem to date back to my
inadvertently mounting / as c:, rather than vice versa. Since my last
reboot, all my system mounts now appear to be duplicated as user mounts,
though I've never actually mounted them that way:

c:\4nt>mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
c:\cygnus\bin       /usr/bin            user         binmode
c:\cygnus\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
c:\cygnus\lib       /usr/lib            user         binmode
c:\cygnus\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
c:\cygnus\usr       /usr                user         binmode
c:\cygnus\usr       /usr                system       binmode
c:\cygnus\var       /var                system       binmode
c:\home\.ssh        /.ssh               system       binmode
c:\usr\local        /usr/local          user         binmode
\\.\tape0:          /dev/st0            user         textmode
\\.\tape1:          /dev/st1            user         textmode
\\.\a:              /dev/fd0            user         textmode
\\.\b:              /dev/fd1            user         textmode
c:                  /                   user         textmode
c:                  /                   system       textmode

The problem is that I can't get rid of the unwanted user mounts using
umount. I just get error messages, such as

c:\4nt>umount --remove-user-mounts
umount: /usr/bin: No such file or directory

Oh. Very odd. If I run "net stop inetd", the extra user mounts go away:

c:\4nt>net stop inetd
The CYGWIN inetd service is stopping.
The CYGWIN inetd service was stopped successfully.

c:\4nt>mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
c:\cygnus\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
c:\cygnus\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
c:\cygnus\usr       /usr                system       binmode
c:\cygnus\var       /var                system       binmode
c:\home\.ssh        /.ssh               system       binmode
\\.\tape0:          /dev/st0            user         textmode
\\.\tape1:          /dev/st1            user         textmode
\\.\a:              /dev/fd0            user         textmode
\\.\b:              /dev/fd1            user         textmode
c:                  /                   system       textmode

Any idea what's going on? Why does running inetd cause all my mounts to get
duplicated?

Richard Stanton