Re: DLL naming conventions

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 12:36:35PM -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>>Cygwin's shared region problem comes about because it uses the name
>>'cygwin' when naming shared memory regions.
>
>Well then, [ this /must/ be a dumb question ], how about changing the
>name of the shared region when making a runtime visible change ?
>Nobody (?) except cygwin itself in various incarnations sees that name
>- I hope.

It's not that simple.  Two different shared memory regions would mean
different mount tables, tty tables, pid tables, etc.  because you had
two different versions of cygwin on your system.  One program would not
be able to correctly use a tty allocated by another.  That would end up
causing at least user confusion, if not program confusion.

There is no reason to have two versions of cygwin1.dll on your system.
In 1.1.4 I've made the error message for this scenario a little clearer
so hopefully people will figure this out.

cgf