Re: Instructions for submitting patches

DJ Delorie wrote:
> Ok, it's not always that easy

Yep, I tried make and it didn't like and I realized I was in the wrong
directory so I went up to src and tried and it still didn't like make and
then I found the README which told me I needed to run configure.  Once I
did that make was off and running.

I may have found one problem though - I only ran configure at the top
level and then it appeared that make runs configure in all the lower
directories where needed except when it got to cygwin then it died saying
no rules and generated an errno 2.  I cd'd to /src/winsup/cygwin and ran
configure thinking that might be it and then went back to /src and ran
make again and it seemed to continue.

Now however it has died again in winsup and this time looking at the
config.log it tells me the following:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:577: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:661: checking host system type
configure:682: checking target system type
configure:700: checking build system type
configure:732: checking for gcc
configure:849: checking whether we are using GNU C
configure:858: gcc -E conftest.c
configure:873: checking whether gcc accepts -g
configure:921: checking for ar
configure:988: checking for as
configure:1055: checking for ranlib
configure:1122: checking for ld
configure:1189: checking for dlltool
configure:1256: checking for windres
configure:1322: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:1343: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:1404: checking for working alloca.h
configure:1416: gcc -o conftest -gstabs+ -O2   conftest.c 1>&5
configure:1410: alloca.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 1409 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <alloca.h>
int main() {
char *p = alloca(2 * sizeof(int));
; return 0; }
configure:1437: checking for alloca
configure:1470: gcc -o conftest -gstabs+ -O2   conftest.c 1>&5
configure:1638: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:1688: g++ -c $(CFLAGS)  conftest.C 1>&5
g++: $(CFLAGS): No such file or directory
configure: In function `void foo(char *, int, unsigned int)':
configure:1680: implicit declaration of function `int
__builtin_memset(...)'
configure: failed program was:
#line 1675 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include <string.h>
void foo(char *s, int c, size_t n)
{
   __builtin_memset(s, c, n);
}

int main()
{
; return 0; }

configure:1798: checking if newlib is part of the build tree
configure:1813: checking if installed newlib needed
configure:1823: gcc -o conftest -gstabs+ -O2   conftest.c  1>&5

Got any idea what I am missing and/or what I did wrong.  Thanks for
helping me along.

Brian