error list compiling within vim

I had trouble getting vim to generate the list of errors it's
supposed to produce when you compile from it. As the vim help
files put it:

The idea is to save the error messages from the compiler in a
file and use them to jump to the errors one by one.  You can then
examine each problem and fix it, without having to remember all
the error messages.

The problem was the .exe extension that cygwin sticks on the
SHELL enviromental variable. Vim depends on $SHELL to decide the
right redirection operators, and it was not recognizing it was
running under a bash shell.

I fixed it by putting set shell=/usr/bin/bash in .vimrc. I could
have set shellpipe, too.

--
Greg Matheson                    Teaching is difficult.
Chinmin College, Taiwan          Learning is more difficult.