Re: Deprecating Automount (was Re: Why not mount / at C: ?)

Hi!

Thursday, 24 August, 2000 Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com wrote:

>> On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 09:02:07AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote: >> The
>> above is easily corrected -- just execute the following once: >> >>
>> mkdir /cygdrive >> >> BTW, I create mount point directories for all
>> of  my  mount points >> (including the cygdrive prefix), because it
>> makes bash's tab >> completion feature work consistently regardless
>> of  whether the name >> begins with a mount point, symlink, etc. >>
>> >  >That's  confusing too. I would expect to see the subdirectories
>> of  /cygdrive  >and  therefore  a list of disk devices by letter. I
>> prefer mounting the device >and not needing the /cygdrive prefix at
>> all.
>>
>> So would I.  So we fix that.  We don't eliminate the /cygdrive feature.
>>

EB> Ok, we don't eliminate the /cygdrive feature; but, I can see the argument,
EB> especially with inetutils and login supplying remote access, that one only
EB> wants to allow access to directories in the Mount Table with the Cygwin Tools.
EB> Shouldn't we allow for [no]automount?

that's  wrong  solution,  too.  if  you want to disallow (for security
reasons)  access to some parts of your filesystem, this should be done
by  means  of underlying os. as long as cygwin allows interaction with
non-cygwin  application no-one can prohibit me run cmd.exe from cygwin
telnet  and  then type "erase d:\some\very\important\file", even if d:
is never mentioned in cygwin mount table.