>               /var
>                    /tmp
>                    /run
>
> cygwin.bat looks like this:-
> @echo off
> d:
> chdir \cygwin\bin
> set CYGHOME=//d/cygwin

Due to other changes below you can delete this line.

> set HOME=%CYGHOME%/home/gbaillie

Change this to `set HOME=/home/gbaillie'.

> set SHELL=//d/cygwin/bin/bash

If you want your batch shell to be bash this should be `set SHELL=/bin/bash'
but I suggest removing this.

> set LIBRARY_PATH=//d/cygwin/lib

If you need this variable, which I doubt that you do, the change this line to
`set LIBRARY_PATH=/lib'

> SET MAKE_MODE=unix
> SET PATH=D:\cygwin\bin;D:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;%PATH%
>
> bash --login -i
>
> My .profile shows confusion about whether to use SET or EXPORT for PATH and
> what does cygdrive mean?:-
> $ cat .profile
> set PATH=//d/cygwin/bin:.

This won't do anything.  Delete it.

> export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/windows:.

Since you've set it in the batch file above you could remove this.

> unset MAILCHECK
> set SHELL=//d/cygwin/bin/bash

The syntax is wrong.  You could delete this line or change it to `export
SHELL=/bin/bash'.

> output from mount looks like this:-
> $ mount
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> d:\cygwin\bin       /bin                user         textmode
> d:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            user         textmode
> d:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            user         textmode
> d:\cygwin           /                   user         textmode

You need to `umount /bin'.

> So currently I can do cd, pwd, mount, echo and cat, but NOT mkdir, ls, bash
> info, awk and cron. Help with  "command not found" would be gratefully
> received.

You're environment settings have most likely confused Cygwin.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>