(fwd) AW: __infinity defined twice in libcygwin.a and libm.a (Compiling perl)

I should have better contacted yopu last night, perhaps that would
have given me
a few extra hours of sleep....

>libm.a should be a symlink to libcygwin.a.  The -lm that Perl's
>Configure adds is somewhat of an historic artifact, however at
>least to date it has never caused any problems.
>
>Are you running Cygwin-1.1.4 (with the dll_entry.o fix)?
>binutils-20000722-1?  gcc-2.95.2-2.tar.gz?

Yep, I am using latest/greatest and have also patched my libcygwin.a

>Also, I have submitted 4 patches to perl5-porters since perl-5.6.0
>was released (and they are in the latest perl-current tree):
>
>	http://www.egroups.com/message/perl5-porters/67725
>	http://www.egroups.com/message/perl5-porters/69079
>	http://www.egroups.com/message/perl5-porters/69270
>	http://www.egroups.com/message/perl5-porters/71082

Yesterday I only found two patches (Patch 3 and Patch 4) because I
looked on
another mirror of the list.
Unfortunately I cannot uudecode patch and patch1, (funny, also patch3
and 4 are
corrupt) there are lines in the message that seem to lack one or two
chars. The
output of uudecode is corrupted because of this. Perhaps you can send
me the
patches to

michael.ring@t-mobil.de and
michael-ring@t-online.de

so I can apply them and generate a single patchfile for cygwin.

>With what I described above, assuming you accept all the
>defaults to Configure (run as Configure -de) Perl builds
>cleanly on my machine (in spite of the unnecessary reference
>to -lm).

Hmm... I did a clean install from sources.redhat.com yesterday;
strange.....

But I only applied (manually) the contents of patch3 and patch4,
perhaps the
secret is somewhere in patch or patch1

>Anyway, I have no idea why you are seeing linker errors.
>
>Hope this helps.

>Eric Fifer

Yes, it did! Thank you very much!

Have you ever thought about maintaining binaries on cygwin??

I do ask this question because I am somewhat in a dilemma:

I can provide a complete build-system to create rpm's and I want to
make it
official on sources.redhat.com but for
everything to work I need perl. But if i provide perl I should also
maintain it,
but I am not capable of doing this
because I am only using perl when there is an absolute need. This is
not the
best basis for maintaining a package.

Cheers,

Michael Ring

P.S.: I will post this message to sources later, the mail server of my
company
is on ORBS so I can only mail to the list from @home.