RE: makeinfo not built to run under win32 ?

Tim,

Thanks for the reply.  You started me looking in the right places.
I was not aware that there is a makeinfo.exe in the gcc-2.95.2
release as well as the one in cygwin's texinfo.tar.gz.  The makeinfo
from gcc is the one that fails, and the one in cygwin works.
Here's what I found, which is basically exactly what you said:

This is the output of the cygwin version of makeinfo (which works):

BASH.EXE-2.04$ /cygdrive/c/gnu/cygwin-1.1.2/build/bin/makeinfo --version
makeinfo (GNU texinfo 3.12) 1.68
Copyright ...

BASH.EXE-2.04$ /cygdrive/c/gnu/cygwin-1.1.2/build/bin/makeinfo -o gcc.info
gcc.texi
Making info file `gcc.info' from `gcc.texi'.

And this is the output of the gcc-2.95.2 version of makeinfo.
It is the same makeinfo version as the above.  As expected, this
is the one that is used by the gcc makefile, but unfortunately it
doesn't work (see error 0).  Is this (gcc) makeinfo the one that
you say is now fixed, or are you using the cygwin makeinfo?

BASH.EXE-2.04$
/cygdrive/c/gnu/gcc-2.95.2/build/texinfo/makeinfo/makeinfo --version
makeinfo (GNU texinfo 3.12) 1.68
Copyright ...

BASH.EXE-2.04$ /cygdrive/c/gnu/gcc-2.95.2/build/texinfo/makeinfo/makeinfo -o
gcc.info gcc.texi
gcc.texi: error 0

Thanks again for your helpful reply,

Chuck