Re: Problems with Libtiff, Libpng

GRENON Richard wrote:
> >P.P.S. I'd recommend that applications NOT
> >include their own versions of system dll's
> >(like libz, libpng, libtiff, etc). They should be
> >compiled to work with the 'official' versions.
>
> I agree with you. Why is not it so ? The result is that you can't
> install an application from a binary just by following the Readme file
> if you don't have the same Cygwin installation as that was used to
> compile.

So you list pre-requisites. "You must have zlib-1.1.3-4 from the
official cygwin distribution installed, or a later version".

Granted, this isn't your problem -- it's the maintainer of these
external packages (such as OpenDX, X11R6, etc). And, while zlib & libpng
have been part of the official distro for 2 or 3 months, new packages
(and dll's) are added to the official distro all the time. It will take
time for external packages to start using the official versions instead
of including their own.

In the meantime, we'll keep having these dll conflicts; but it'll work
itself out eventually as long as the maintainers of the external
packages 'get the message'.  "If your package has prerequisites, use the
'official' package for that prereq if available; don't supply custom
versions"

> Too many dll's with the same name. In the OpenDX case, I had
> the Cygwin libz.dll, the X11R6 libz.dll and the OpenDX libz.dll!

Sorry I snapped at you; you just got lucky -- the latest in a long
string of overly delayed problem reports that shoulda been reported
earlier. At least from my perspective.

--Chuck