Re: [Re: cygwin-1.1.4: problems with remote commands]

Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@cygnus.com> wrote:
> norbert.bladt@usa.net wrote:
>>
>> Ralf Fassel wrote:
[...]
>> > - using ssh, I am not able to see the output of remote commands in my
>> >   UNIX xterm.
>> >
>> >      % ssh nt-host ls
>> This works for me.
>> Either you
>>         - are using the ls from the Resource Kit or
>>         - have no home directory defined or it doesn't exist.
>>
>> But the rest of your observation seems to be right.
>> In our environment we do start, stop and/or restart services
>> an this doesn't give any output on the UNIX side either.
>> But the rest of your observation seems to be right.
>> In our environment we do start, stop and/or restart services
>> an this doesn't give any output on the UNIX side either.

>You're right. I can reproduce that for telnet sessions.

>However, that is not what I'm expecting in ssh sessions:
The problem is not in an online session but in a remote command
given as a command line parameter on the client side, i.e.
	ssh -l user host /bin/ls -l
works fine, i.e. the output appears on the client side.
However,
	ssh -l user host net start clipsrv
doesn't give any output on the UNIX side (client)
if "host" is an NT system. Just the exit code
of "net start clipsrv" is returned. That's fine for me
but perhaps not for other users and other commands where you
want to interpret the output.
Forcing a pty (ssh option -t) does help with my version of ssh
and Corinna's version of sshd and cygwin 1.1.3, at least for the
"net start" commands. When this started to work, I don't know.
It didn't work in previous releases/ports of OpenSSH and cygwin.
But: I'm happy that this works now.

Cheers,

Norbert.