Re: Problems with Libtiff, Libpng

@#$!%@!

Thank you for reporting this problem with libpng.dll. I asked for
problem reports, and got none. Therefore I assumed that the libpng-1.0.8
was ready for primetime.

I am sorry that appears to not be the case.

But, you know what? Since nobody bothered to report any of these
problems at the time, and only happened to mention them in passing
almost a month later -- I no longer care. You obviously have known about
the problem with libpng, libz and OpenDX for some time, but neglected to
tell anybody about it.

--Chuck

P.S. It is well known (among the png-developers) that libpng-1.0.6 had
certain compatibility problems. These were corrected in -1.0.7 and
1.0.8. Therefore, if OpenDX worked with -1.0.6 but not later versions,
it is because OpenDX probably hacked around the 'compatibility' problems
of 1.0.6, thus making itself incompatible with all other versions of
that library. IMO, libpng-1.0.8 is not at fault; OpenDX should be fixed
(or at least, recompiled & relinked).

P.P.S. I'd recommend that applications NOT include their own versions of
system dll's (like libz, libpng, libtiff, etc). They should be compiled
to work with the 'official' versions. That's why I built them, and
pushed to add them to the official distribution -- so that 27 different
apps wouldn't all include their own private, incompatible versions of
libz.dll.  So far, I think OpenDX and WM (and possibly X11) need to be
recompiled to use the 'official' libz and not build their own.

X11 is a special case, since it lives in its own directory
(/usr/X11R6/bin) and can take advantage of peculiarities of the windows
dynamic loader to force using its own version of libz, regardless of
$PATH.